Ray on calcium tetracycline interaction
 I think it will still have effectiveness in the intestine even if it’s considerably less than ideal.
Hide quoted text

Quote:On Jul 4, 201

Ok, so what if one was treating SIBO with tetracycline ... if the cation made a salt bridge or whatever to the ring system of tetracycline would that reduce it's antimicrobial effect within the gut lumen? The reason i ask is we take frequent tetracycline doses alongside eggshell calcium to restrain gut bacteria. 

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019, 10:06 PM Ray Peat <wrote:
Quote:Once the tetracycline is in the blood, I think it’s unlikely to chelate calcium, since calcium has its prior commitments.

Quote:On Jul 4, 2019, at 5:53 PM, James <rote:

If not absorbed, would the insoluble tetracycline bound to calcium still be effective? 

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019, 4:19 PM Ray Peat <>wrote:
Quote:They bind together; one study found a 50 to 60% reduction in absorption when 300 ml of milk was taken with 500 mg of tetracycline.

Quote:On Jul 4, 2019, at 12:04 PM, James <> wrote:

Would calcium also retain more tetracycline in the intestine, or does calcium inactivate it?  Thank you very much. 

On Tue, May 28, 2019, 1:38 PM Ray Peat <>wrote:
Quote:Yes, I think having it with the carrot keeps more of it in the intestine.

Quote:On May 27, 2019, at 11:09 PM, James <wrote:

Thank you. Do you think 50mg /day tetracycline along with carrot salad is enough to potentiate the antibacterial action of the carrots? Thank you ray
[color=#222222][size=medium]"I have no religion, no political affiliation: I believe in me, above everything else." -Chasing Good & Evil[/size][/color]