Is their an ideal macronutrient ratio for a Peat inspired diet?
Hello guys, I'm not all that new to Peat's ideas but I am new to discussing them with other Peaters. At any rate, it's no secret that Peat seems to favor a more higher carbohydrate diet. However I've found it very difficult to maintain a high carb diet for a few reasons. Firstly, my food sucks and lacks flavor without fat. Secondly, on a very high carb diet I feel fine in the morning and then crash in the afternoons. Currently I'm eating anywhere between 180-200 grams of carbohydrates a day, mostly from fruit and raw honey. Most of my calories are coming from fat. I eat grassfed butter, coconut oil, coconut butter, coconut milk, and grassfed ruminant fats like beef, lamb, etc. My protein sources are mainly beef, beef liver, eggs (whole eggs), bone broth, gelatin, and oysters.  Not a milk fan, so I take crushed up eggshell powder for calcium. My PUFA intake is rather low, however, I'm not religious about it. I don't go out of my way to consume super low amounts of it. I simply avoid the seed oils, most nuts (I do eat macadamia), and I don't eat pork much (when I do, it's pasture raised pork). I consume avocados and EVOO occasionally.
RP does not have a fixed recommendation for macro nutrients. He put more emphasis on quality of food.
In one interview he said one can have equal amount of fat. protein and carbohydrate.
In another response he said that one can eat up to 50 percent fat in a diet.
My understanding is that there is more benefit in eating high carbohydrate diet.
He also recommends taking carb with protein to prevent hypoglycemia and cortisol rise.
He also mentioned that MCT in coconut oil is metabolized as quickly as glucose.

I remember reading one study that shows T3 starts falling below 125 grams of carbohydrate intake.
(08-30-2018, 10:35 PM)Mittir Wrote: RP does not have a fixed recommendation for macro nutrients. He put more emphasis on quality of food.
In one interview he said one can have equal amount of fat. protein and carbohydrate.
In another response he said that one can eat up to 50 percent fat in a diet.
My understanding is that there is more benefit in eating high carbohydrate diet.
He also recommends taking carb with protein to prevent hypoglycemia and cortisol rise.
He also mentioned that MCT in coconut oil is metabolized as quickly as glucose.

I remember reading one study that shows T3 starts falling below 125 grams of carbohydrate intake.

He also recommends fat with carbohydrate intakex i heard him say that on an interview tonight with someone who initially had success with a high carb diet but then had troubles. Nutrient depletion may he a factor in o.p's case.
[color=#222222][size=medium]"I have no religion, no political affiliation: I believe in me, above everything else." -Chasing Good & Evil[/size][/color]
Both fat and fiber slows down carbohydrate absorption.He generally recommends
mixed meal of fat. carb and protein. Combined meal slows down blood sugar spike
and improves digestion.

I started Peating with meat based diet before adopting dairy.
It made me feel hypo until i increased gelatine and calcium .
It is easier to be  deficient in other alkaline minerals in meat based high fat diet.
In a 2000 calorie diet 200 grams of carb ( 40%)  looks fine.
I am also wondering about Randle effect on fat- carb ratio.
Diet should be based on visible improvements in health and good quality sleep.
Thanks for the input guys. Knowing that T3 levels start dropping under 125 grams is very beneficial for me. I think I'll stick to eating around 200 grams of carbs then, instead of doubling up to around 400. I feel much better doing this anyways.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When a Peat diet fails - Kate Deering Westside PUFAs 1 790 09-28-2018, 07:31 AM
Last Post: G-Signal