Brain unsaturated fats
I dont know if anyone has an answer for this before i ask ray, but does anyone know why the brain accumupates pufa?
[color=#222222][size=medium]"I have no religion, no political affiliation: I believe in me, above everything else." -Chasing Good & Evil[/size][/color]
The body needs unsaturated fats. If we don't consume polyunsaturated fats, the body makes them.
(08-28-2018, 03:49 PM)RayPeatFan Wrote: The body needs unsaturated fats. If we don't consume polyunsaturated fats, the body makes them.

Ok but ray has distonguished between the mead acids and exogenous unsaturated fats. Im just wonderijg why the exogenous pufa seems to accumulate in the brain, you'd think theyd be all saturated given the higher temperature of the brain
[color=#222222][size=medium]"I have no religion, no political affiliation: I believe in me, above everything else." -Chasing Good & Evil[/size][/color]
I think Ray Peat mentioned that somewhere. I have read that it takes longer time to
change brain's fatty acid composition. You pointed out correctly that brain should have
faster turn over rate due to higher metabolism. We know stored fat preferentially
 burns saturated fat and this increases the ratio of PUFA in stored fat. 
But, body burns PUFA more quickly when fatty acids are released during stress.
But, brain runs on glucose. That is possibly why PUFA keeps accumulating instead of being
burnt. It would be nice to ask RP about it.
(08-28-2018, 04:45 PM)ChasingGoodandEvil Wrote: Im just wonderijg why the exogenous pufa seems to accumulate in the brain

So does the endogenous.
(08-28-2018, 05:45 PM)Mittir Wrote: I think Ray Peat mentioned that somewhere. I have read that it takes longer time to
change brain's fatty acid composition. You pointed out correctly that brain should have
faster turn over rate due to higher metabolism. We know stored fat preferentially
 burns saturated fat and this increases the ratio of PUFA in stored fat. 
But, body burns PUFA more quickly when fatty acids are released during stress.
But, brain runs on glucose. That is possibly why PUFA keeps accumulating instead of being
burnt. It would be nice to ask RP about it.

Thats a good explanation! Ill ask ray about it.  marrow then might be another spot for pufa accumulation
I emailed ray. My archnemesis lisa ferraro posted this study, saying there is actually less pufa in the brain than most organs. I sent it to ray. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20...123345.htm
That study is strange that Rats having 60% pufa in brain and 90% pufa in  rest of the body.
It seems like they fed all PUFA diet to rats and then measured their content after sometimes.
If brain's fatty acids turn over rate is slower than other organs it would take longer time for
brain to achieve the composition of dietary fat. It would also take longer time
 to increase saturated fat in brain if rats were fed all saturated fats.
Not to derail the thread, but I have a differing view of pufa than ray. I believe pufa is quite usable by the body, but its ability to be used is easily degraded depending on the environment. These rat studies are rather useless as they never control for air ions. The biologists arent alone though. physicists make the same mistake constantly.

I have achieved excellent results with omega 3 foods, but the effect can vary, even within the same day.
(08-28-2018, 11:14 PM)Mittir Wrote: That study is strange that Rats having 60% pufa in brain and 90% pufa in  rest of the body.
It seems like they fed all PUFA diet to rats and then measured their content after sometimes.
If brain's fatty acids turn over rate is slower than other organs it would take longer time for
brain to achieve the composition of dietary fat. It would also take longer time
 to increase saturated fat in brain if rats were fed all saturated fats.

I know ray said turnover rate is rapid in the brain. Glucose sounds like the best exppanation. Mittir i wanted to ask you your opinion on glyphosate, particulary in refined sugar, but also in general. Also, what methods have you found most effective for reducing gut permeability? Thx mittir