Why You Don't Want To Promote Colonic Fermentation
(10-01-2017, 05:40 AM)Sea Wrote: Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheeseburgers, pizza, Cap'n Crunch cereal with milk, trader joe's mac n cheese, random sandwiches, ice cream, cheddar cheese, along with various juices and goat milk/milk.
I don't get it... It seems everyone recuperates by going for dairy to get calories. But I have so many issues with it.
Have you ever had problems with dairy, Sea?
The majority of my calories(over 50%) are always coming from carbohydrate.

When I first left paleo diets and also after my metabolism declined from DMSO, I couldn't adequately digest milk. However, I could digest aged cheddar cheeses(especially raw versions), fat free greek yogurt, and fat free cottage cheese. Sometimes they would increase my dandruff, but compared with other foods I think they digested fairly well.

I think that both caffeine and thyroid reverse food intolerances overtime. In my experience, caffeine restores digestion faster than thyroid, but I think that thyroid is more beneficial overall. I think that a combination of caffeine and thyroid is optimal to restore metabolism, but I would be very cautious combining them, or increasing dosages of either, until one has a good handle on reversing increases in adrenaline. I think that consuming activated charcoal or calorically dense food, especially with salt(concentrated juice, pizza, mac n cheese, ect), is the easiest way to handle increases in adrenaline.
"The true method of knowledge is experiment." -William Blake
Good for you that you can handle so much diary. When I consumed a lot of it it made my infection worse and bloated my stomach.

It's not for everyone.
Sea, what type of thyroid did/do you take and how do you dose it?
(10-03-2017, 02:57 AM)Zachs Wrote: Sea, what type of thyroid did/do you take and how do you dose it?

I currently take the new versions of Grossman Cynomel and Cynoplus which I believe are the only thyroid products Ray Peat really recommends. I used some WPThyroid a year ago when the Grossman products weren't in production and I think it worked very similar. I also used the older versions of Cynomel and Cynoplus a few years ago before they went out of production, and I think the new versions are identical. I've also tried Idealabs Tyromax, which made me incredibly sick and I don't think worked at all as a thyroid supplement.

I dose Cynomel randomly during the day, usually not everyday since I am no longer sick, in amounts of 2-3mcg at a time, usually less than 10mcg/day in total. I take Cynoplus at night, usually between .5 and 1.5 grains as it helps me feel very relaxed before bed, again not every day. When I was recovering from DMSO poisoning I found it beneficial to take around 4 grains of Cynoplus a day, sometimes more than that, and I would take Cynomel at the same 2-3 mcg dosage, but around every 1-2 hours. I think it's best to take small amounts, always split up, and to make sure that you have food readily available when you first start taking thyroid. Overtime, I think that thyroid reduces caloric requirements, but the first several weeks, or maybe months for some people, I think it can increase caloric requirements or activated charcoal/fiber/bowel clearing requirements. I think that to ensure that T4 is working(in Cynoplus, or T4 only supplements) it should make you feel relaxed, and if you don't notice anything from a product with T4 you should just take T3 for a while as you probably aren't converting it well.

I ordered from rxmexicoonline, but that website is down right now. I can log into the following website, which has the same prices, so I believe it is the same company.

http://www.farmaciasdelnino.mx/eng/item/...abs-25-mcg

http://www.farmaciasdelnino.mx/eng/item/...-mg-50-tab
"The true method of knowledge is experiment." -William Blake
I agree that humans do not depend on bacterial fermentation for energy, but having a sterile gut isn't feasible and some bacteria have more dangerous byproducts (like endotoxin) than others (butyric acid, lactic acid).

most here would agree that that too much of any bacteria is detrimental to health, and you can limit the amount of bacteria by improving digestion and not going overboard with fiber.

There's a microbiologist named Jeff Leach who is doing tons of research on the link between diet and gut microbes, he's funding a project named 'American Gut', which is an open-source projects that catalogues the composition of donor microbiomes.

He traveled to Tanzania a few years ago to live among the Hazda for around a year to study their microbiota and the changes in his own when adopting their diet.

http://humanfoodproject.com/rebecoming-h...-gatherer/

http://humanfoodproject.com/microbial-di...imes-dont/

They seem to eat lots of prebiotic fiber (resistant starch) from raw tubers year round, which seems to be digested and turned into short chain fatty acids by bacteria. The bulk of their calories changes from very high meat in the dry season to mostly honey in the wet season.

He mentions self experimenting with fiber consumption and the more fiber, the more acidic his gut (from increasing acid producing bacteria). the common opinion among microbiologists is that having an acidic gut is beneficial, as the acidic environment inhibits the growth of more pathogenic strains (gram negative bacteria, which are the ones who produce endotoxin). The Hazda's gut stays very acidic year round, so it's likely that fiber consumption alone regulates gut acidity, as their high fat/protein and high sugar diets have little effect on changes in gut pH.
It's hypothesised that having a varied bacteria composition improves the host's resiliency against pathogens. Hazda's have very diverse microbiota and eat 'dirty' raw meat and drink stagnating water with seemingly no issues.

it's likely that high lactose consumption selects for lactic acid producing strains, unless all of the lactose is digested before reaching the gut (I'm unaware of what factors influence this.) it's also likely that environment plays a large part in bacteria composition. it is possible that 'sterilised' environments interact with the bacteria found on our skin and in our airways, which may or may not increase the risk of acquiring pathogenic strains. water is chlorinated to inhibit bacterial proliferation, it is likely that consumption of chlorine has an antibiotic effect on our gut microbiota.

very interesting stuff, but hard to draw any conclusions from it. To contrast with the OP, there is no mention that the Hazda spit out any of the fiber they eat, but does confirm their high meat/high honey diet.
(10-03-2017, 05:20 AM)Sea Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 02:57 AM)Zachs Wrote: Sea, what type of thyroid did/do you take and how do you dose it?

I currently take the new versions of Grossman Cynomel and Cynoplus which I believe are the only thyroid products Ray Peat really recommends. I used some WPThyroid a year ago when the Grossman products weren't in production and I think it worked very similar. I also used the older versions of Cynomel and Cynoplus a few years ago before they went out of production, and I think the new versions are identical. I've also tried Idealabs Tyromax, which made me incredibly sick and I don't think worked at all as a thyroid supplement.

I dose Cynomel randomly during the day, usually not everyday since I am no longer sick, in amounts of 2-3mcg at a time, usually less than 10mcg/day in total. I take Cynoplus at night, usually between .5 and 1.5 grains as it helps me feel very relaxed before bed, again not every day. When I was recovering from DMSO poisoning I found it beneficial to take around 4 grains of Cynoplus a day, sometimes more than that, and I would take Cynomel at the same 2-3 mcg dosage, but around every 1-2 hours. I think it's best to take small amounts, always split up, and to make sure that you have food readily available when you first start taking thyroid. Overtime, I think that thyroid reduces caloric requirements, but the first several weeks, or maybe months for some people, I think it can increase caloric requirements or activated charcoal/fiber/bowel clearing requirements. I think that to ensure that T4 is working(in Cynoplus, or T4 only supplements) it should make you feel relaxed, and if you don't notice anything from a product with T4 you should just take T3 for a while as you probably aren't converting it well.

I ordered from rxmexicoonline, but that website is down right now. I can log into the following website, which has the same prices, so I believe it is the same company.

http://www.farmaciasdelnino.mx/eng/item/...abs-25-mcg

http://www.farmaciasdelnino.mx/eng/item/...-mg-50-tab

Thanks this is encouraging to me, i recently increased my t3/t4 ratio and your experience parallels my own.
[color=#222222][size=medium]"I have no religion, no political affiliation: I believe in me, above everything else." -Chasing Good & Evil[/size][/color]
Even African "paleo" like the Hadza can't digest starch/fiber and get MAJOR DIGESTIVE ISSUES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5__rWswzbo