Can you get too much salt?
I love adding a lot of salt too most of my food, even fruits.  Can one get too much salt, if one is just salting food to taste (even though that means A LOT of salt) and not force feeding oneself with salt or anything?
Yes, there is too much of everything (inc. water). But the need and taste for salt in my experience is adaptive, that's why low sodium and fruit eaters a lot of the time say it's too salty even though there is hardly any salt.

That being said sodium is one one of the only supplements I use the maximum amount(for taste) not the minimum for desirable effect. My sleep is really shallow if I don't get enough sodium and/or do this fruit and milk thing. Eating a pizza or masa tortilla with cheese and super salty makes a great sleep, but nowadays I avoid starch also at late evening to avoid the occasional digestion problems that reduce the quality of sleep. So I make this BOMB of a thing with white button mushrooms and chedda cheese crispied out and salted to death maybe bit of liverwurst on side. Hah thats my take on this.

Cheers.
I would be surprised if you could eat too much salt just eating to taste. If you have ever oversalted food, you know it isn't appealing at all. I find I do better supplementing a little because my diet is full of foods that don't take well to salt, at least for me. I don't like salted milk or salted OJ. I've supplemented up to 6 grams of salt per day, in addition to salting food to taste, and had no adverse impact (including no increase in blood pressure, no bloating, etc). I think you would find it hard to take 6 grams of salt, if just salting to taste.

We're all different, though. If you are concerned, you could just look at the symptoms of excessive salt consumption, and see if you have any symptoms.

On another note, I noticed recently when I had to take my wife to the ER, the standard treatment for just about everyone is a saline IV at a 9% solution, which is 9 grams of salt per liter bag. They gave her 2 liters (18 grams of salt) without any concern.
(07-24-2017, 09:57 AM)mahounie Wrote: Yes, there is too much of everything (inc. water). But the need and taste for salt in my experience is adaptive, that's why low sodium and fruit eaters a lot of the time say it's too salty even though there is hardly any salt.

I actually felt the opposite when I was doing an almost fruitarian diet (Wai Diet - it still includes fish and eggs). The moment I put salt in my mouth after 3 months without putting any salt in my food, it tasted so damn good that I could literally eat spoons of it alone.
So I think it may be more complex than it seems.

Salt is definitely an interesting thing. I know that my body really craves salt, at least it seems since it always taste very nice to me and only a ton makes me say "it's enough", but I'm always reluctant of adding tons of it. For instance, my mum seem to be very sensitive to it, because when the food has a little extra salt, she immediately says "this food is too salty" while to me is perfectly fine and I could actually add a little bit more of it. Curiously enough, I tend to have low blood pressure while my mum tends to have high blood pressure. There could be a correlation, dunno. Still, it's very difficulty to understand if my mum is truly saying that the food is salty because it feels salty to her of if it is because she believes that salt is bad for her (you know, "the salt is bad" propaganda) and since she also knows she tends to have high blood pressure and water retention. So, I believe there may be some fear inside her on eating too much salt. Still, a colleague of her is even more sensitive to salt than her. Again, curiously enough, her colleague has a heart problem.
There may be some correlation regarding the context of each person.

The only thing I can say is that there's definitely people more sensitive to salt than others. I can tolerate more, until I feel like it's enough. Now, could my taste adapt to the point where my body would reject it after a long period of taking a ton of it? I don't know... I would have to try it as an experiment. But there may be people here that have already tried this though. Those who applied Matt Stone approach, for example.

Also, anecdotally, when I was young I would eat salt like it was some kind of candy, but then my mum would get mad at me and would say "Salt is bad! Stop eating salt like that!". It really felt like I was following my cravings/instincts. But when I was young I was naive. Now, with so much (mis)information and poor quality foods, it becomes very hard to trust my own instincts.
No you cant get too much sodium, if you take too much ot would not be absorbed. Eating too much sodium chloride (table salt) could be an issue just from too much chloride.

Some of the highest sodium consumption on earth is found in Japan, upwards of 25g sodium a day. And of course Japanese are known for health and longevity. I think the most dangerous diets are ones that eat waaaay more potassium to sodium, like fruitarianism. Long term it will probably lead to heart failure.
(08-25-2017, 02:10 PM)Zachs Wrote: No you cant get too much sodium, if you take too much ot would not be absorbed.  Eating too much sodium chloride (table salt) could be an issue just from too much chloride.  

Some of the highest sodium consumption on earth is found in Japan, upwards of 25g sodium a day.  And of course Japanese are known for health and longevity. 
I am not a biochemistry expert, but I always kept in mind this post from tyw back in the days he was on Jack Kruse forum:

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?th...ion.11348/

He also added a note saying: "If you can, try not to add salt to any fluids that you drink (or don't drink too much salted fluids)."

And to my experience, I do notice some difference when I add salt in a drink and when I add salt in a solid.
There was one time I was drinking salted OJ and I notice that my body immediately retained more water easily. Thogh, I was on a low salt diet back then.
Since I didn't like it back then, I stopped doing it. Perhaps, if I had continued my body would adapt to it, who knows.
But I do think drinking something salty is more prone to retain more water, probably because it is absorbed faster and the body may have to take some time to deal with the extra salt (...?).

Ray Peat also said this in a Politics and Science episode.

RAY PEAT: Yes. When you’re already on a low salt diet and take salt... one of the common physiology experiments is to have people drink a quart of plain water or a quart of plain water with a heaping teaspoon of salt added to it and at the end of the physiology lab, everyone who got the unsalted warm water would have formed about a quart of urine, and the ones that got the salt didn’t have any extra forming. It took usually a couple of days for that excess water to come out.
So if you take a sudden dose of salt, it makes you swell up and retain water, until your aldosterone has adjusted downward.

JOHN BARKHAUSEN: I see; so it just takes a while to adjust to it?
Quote:I think the most dangerous diets are ones that eat waaaay more potassium to sodium, like fruitarianism.  Long term it will probably lead to heart failure.
This guy - http://www.thijsklompmaker.com/ - has been on a diet of OJ + Salmon for quite some years. He doesn't add salt on his foods. I think the K:Na ratio would be something like 50:1.

But he created his diet and sticks to it.

"Very healthy
Never been sick a day in my life.
Always energetic, never tired. Always happy and focussed.
Sleep well.
And my body is in great shape. See http://www.topfitafter50.com/"
from http://www.waiworld.com/waitalk/phpBB3/v...941#p44941

Though, this doesn't mean anything in long term.
Oj and salmon sees like quite the nasty diet, haha. Yea not sure what to make of n1s like that.

I thinj sodium bicarb is much safer to add to fluids, salt is better for foods. I personally intake 15g sodium a day with zero wateemr retention. Very lean. When i do low sodium diets like a lot of fruit, i get puffy.
(08-27-2017, 11:16 PM)Zachs Wrote: Oj and salmon sees like quite the nasty diet, haha.  Yea not sure what to make of n1s like that.
He also does IF with a 4-6 hour feeding window. I think he may eat some raw egg yolks, other fruits and nuts from time to time. And btw, the salmon is always raw. He believes that eating cooked foods is one of the worst things possible we can do (because of AGEs, ALEs and all the byproducts from cooked foods)
But this guy is no joke (well, like all gurus). Try to argue with him in his forum and you will see he is a pretty smart guy. At least, he completely defends sugar. He also prefers a no fiber diet.

(08-27-2017, 11:16 PM)Zachs Wrote: I thinj sodium bicarb is much safer to add to fluids, salt is better for foods.  I personally intake 15g sodium a day with zero wateemr retention. Very lean.  When i do low sodium diets like a lot of fruit, i get puffy.
Yeah, I know about adding sodium bicarb to fluids, but I never really tried it.

Weird... I actually became very lean when I was eating lots of fruits and no added salt at all. But I have to say I was also freezing as fk. The amount of fluids I was taking didn't help me either. The moment I added salt, my fingertips became immediately warm and I felt relaxed. However, I also got puffy lol

When you say 15g sodium, I suppose you're saying 15g of salt right? xD
I think I might be taking somewhat of 2 grams of salt per day lol.
Knowing that salt tastes really good for me, I may actually try slowly adding more salt in my foods. This low salt homeostasis that I am at right now, may be a thing that is keeping me even more on the hypothyroid state.
I mean 15g sodium, so a few tsp salt and bicarb a day. I think uping your sodium can do wonders for hypothyroidism for sure.