Sinusitis, breathing and wheat + dairy
I'm prone to sinusitis and recently discovered (experiments + research) that these two foods, wheat and dairy, could be definite triggers. They may also increase mucus production (galactose?) and therefore lead to most if not all of my all breathing issues (exercise induced "asthma", post nasal drip).
I'd like to know if other people have noticed similar effects? Westside PUFAS suggested a few times that dairy and starch did not go well together for many, I suspect that the combination of both wheat and dairy is deadly for sinuses and breathing in general.
I am progressively going back to low carb and the reduction of what I ate before is clearly helping my sinuses. I am fine with a small quantity of wheat but continuous exposure to it is no good. I identified onions as being the food my gut reacts the worst to (I don't know why I never noticed, though!). And when the gut is not happy, my nose is stuffed!

I have replaced milk with yogurt and think it's better. I also removed commercial fruit juice (and I can't find ripe fruit where I am so I removed fruit altogether).

At this time of year, I have been having a very stuffy nose in the past 3 years (never had any allergy problems before) but I feel fine this year. I think removing the milk and juice is what helped.

Rice, meat, fat, yogurt, soda, and a bit of veggies are the only things I am eating right now. Pretty restricted but I am feeling better and better.
I'm unsure about wheat but I can say almost now with certainty that galactose in high doses is bad for anyone.
Well it make sense. When you mix together hard to digest gluten and for many people hard to digest lactose+casein.. I don't see any good reason. Why we should consume grains with gluten? I see a lot of reasons for consuming dairy. So just skip gluten and you will be ok for the most part.. Then you can switch from milk to cheese, yogurt or even kefir.. I think that cheese is ok almost for everyone. Just don't eat too much at the time if your digestion is not 100% used to it..::"Westside

"PUFAS suggested a few times that dairy and starch did not go well together for many"
I think that it is not about starch, but about really hard to digest gluten. Because for example potatoes with milk is staple for many many many people. It is easy to digest meal. But wheat with milk? Fart machine is created...
THanks for the tips to all, Ive not had any sinusitis and yet I've eaten pasta with cheese many times, I don't really know what happened. I think health is getting better though, I'm eating more and eat like 2 kg of potatoes daily, little or no fruit juice (some pepsi) , a bit of ground beef, cod, whiting, chicken breast , coconut oil, butter. Even though I don't have problems digesting goat products I still get awful backne from it. At this point I wonder if dairy is mole-o-genic for me too.

I 've been able to eat all those potatoes since I found wacky ones (not floury at all or I get digestive issues). https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&...8A&cad=rja

Edit: I forgot I completely dropped eggs, since restricting Pufas massively and not eating any I seem to have lost all desire and taste for them. Also the carrot and mushroom salad don't feel helpful at all (slows down digestion .
(05-21-2017, 09:29 AM)Wagner83 Wrote: I 've been able to eat all those potatoes since I found wacky ones (not floury at all or I get digestive issues). https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&...8A&cad=rja

Edit: I forgot I completely dropped eggs, since restricting Pufas massively and not eating any I seem to have lost all desire and taste for them. Also the carrot and mushroom salad don't feel helpful at all (slows down digestion .

I share a similar experience. Back in 2015, I experimented with different types of starch after dropping dairy from my diet. I needed a new staple and good fruit was in short supply. I remembered Ray suggesting new potatoes over regular varieties so I looked into the differences between the two and came upon similar info about amylopectin and amylose. 

Normally, starch caused me major acid reflux and overgrowth symptoms so hoping to avoid this, I tracked down immature potatoes (called creamers) because much of their sugars haven't converted to starch yet, and authentic Thai glutinous rice, because it has no (or only negligible amounts of) amylose. 

I ate the creamers mashed with (or without) coconut cream, along with maple syrup and salt and got no acid reflux either way. I ate the Thai glutinous rice mixed with (or without) coconut cream, along with mangoes, salt and a pinch of ginger and though it never caused me acid reflux, I got very sleeping every time I consumed it. 

I ended up dropping the Thai rice from my diet within a month and eventually the creamer potatoes, too (was eating pounds of them daily) because they both brought back overgrowth symptoms I had dealt with when I was consuming dairy, but I definitely tolerated the creamers much better than any other starch.
"One regret, my dear world, that I am determined not to have when I am lying on my deathbed is that I did not kiss you enough." ~ Hafiz
(05-21-2017, 11:32 AM)Jennifer Wrote: I share a similar experience. Back in 2015, I experimented with different types of starch after dropping dairy from my diet. I needed a new staple and good fruit was in short supply. I remembered Ray suggesting new potatoes over regular varieties so I looked into the differences between the two and came upon similar info about amylopectin and amylose. 

Normally, starch caused me major acid reflux and overgrowth symptoms so hoping to avoid this, I tracked down immature potatoes (called creamers) because much of their sugars haven't converted to starch yet, and authentic Thai glutinous rice, because it has no (or only negligible amounts of) amylose. 

I ate the creamers mashed with (or without) coconut cream, along with maple syrup and salt and got no acid reflux either way. I ate the Thai glutinous rice mixed with (or without) coconut cream, along with mangoes, salt and a pinch of ginger and though it never caused me acid reflux, I got very sleeping every time I consumed it. 

I ended up dropping the Thai rice from my diet within a month and eventually the creamer potatoes, too (was eating pounds of them daily) because they both brought back overgrowth symptoms I had dealt with when I was consuming dairy, but I definitely tolerated the creamers much better than any other starch.

I tried jasmine rice but it does not work at all for me, I suspect that if I overcooked it it could be way better but honestly I find the idea quite appalling. From the few mangoes I ate I'd say those I have access to have way too much fibers, I've noticed that fibers and rice seem to give painful stools (remember the days I had hemorrhoids issues and even thrombosed ones, not had such problems in ages).

Food coma after meals was my main focus when I got into Ray Peat, I tried the no starch fruit juice thing but ended with very worrying issue, upon resuming starch and dropping juices (and milk) it resolved. The past couple of weeks I got closer to doing much better, actually this week was pretty remarkable as often even after 1 kg of potatoes with some fat, proteins and coffee I still felt energized. It seems to have been reduced now. Tyw made posts on how timing of the meals could matter, b vitamins should play a part too (given I eat high carb), indulging in some chocolate , some stress and no exercise in days (apparently it heps with glucose metabolism and insulin sensitivity) seem to have led to a few backwards steps, maybe Kuinone on balls also played a part.

What are these overgrowth symptoms if I may ask?
I've had food coma for a long time trying low-fat milk, juice, sugar, and starch. Dropping milk and juice really helped (still eat yogurt, some fruits, and a bit of soda). Thiamine and riboflavin have been extremely helpful. I usually eat more carbs in the morning/lunch so I take some caffeine with it. Rice (japanese) is still making me sleepy, but wheat or potatoes are fine (despite using ample amounts of butter and/or cheese).
(05-22-2017, 12:58 AM)nikotrope Wrote: I've had food coma for a long time trying low-fat milk, juice, sugar, and starch. Dropping milk and juice really helped (still eat yogurt, some fruits, and a bit of soda). Thiamine and riboflavin have been extremely helpful. I usually eat more carbs in the morning/lunch so I take some caffeine with it. Rice (japanese) is still making me sleepy, but wheat or potatoes are fine (despite using ample amounts of butter and/or cheese).

Sounds like our experience are quite similar, although I used to have food coma without fruit juices and milk in the first place. Imo some  fructose/sucrose and fat , exercising and timing of meals are among the tools we can use to avoid the food coma, huge insulin spikes etc..
(05-21-2017, 01:38 PM)Wagner83 Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 11:32 AM)Jennifer Wrote: I share a similar experience. Back in 2015, I experimented with different types of starch after dropping dairy from my diet. I needed a new staple and good fruit was in short supply. I remembered Ray suggesting new potatoes over regular varieties so I looked into the differences between the two and came upon similar info about amylopectin and amylose. 

I tried jasmine rice but it does not work at all for me, I suspect that if I overcooked it it could be way better but honestly I find the idea quite appalling. From the few mangoes I ate I'd say those I have access to have way too much fibers, I've noticed that fibers and rice seem to give painful stools (remember the days I had hemorrhoids issues and even thrombosed ones, not had such problems in ages).

Food coma after meals was my main focus when I got into Ray Peat, I tried the no starch fruit juice thing but ended with very worrying issue, upon resuming starch and dropping juices (and milk) it resolved. The past couple of weeks I got closer to doing much better, actually this week was pretty remarkable as often even after 1 kg of potatoes with some fat, proteins and coffee I still felt energized. It seems to have been reduced now. Tyw made posts on how timing of the meals could matter, b vitamins should play a part too (given I eat high carb), indulging in some chocolate , some stress and no exercise in days (apparently it heps with glucose metabolism and insulin sensitivity) seem to have led to a few backwards steps, maybe Kuinone on balls also played a part.

What are these overgrowth symptoms if I may ask?

Huh, interesting. Thanks for sharing. Smile

Jasmine is my favorite variety but unlike the Thai glutinous rice, Jasmine gave me acid reflux even when cooking it down to porridge consistency.

Sorry, just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, you were consuming both juice and milk during the time the worrying issues developed and when you cut out both (at the same time?) the issues went away? If so, could you have been reacting poorly to one and not the other or have you tested out both at separate times? 

In my case, the food coma and other overgrowth symptoms were due to my weak adrenals leaving me unable to metabolize complex carbs well and the high levels of toxic mold present in my body. I'm finally over a stressful period in my life so to avoid the adrenaline highs and subsequent crashes, I'm sticking to just gentle forms of exercise until my glands have a chance to strengthen. Right now it's ballet and flexibility routines. I also thought about indoor rock climbing since my favorite thing during hikes were rock scrambles, but anyway...

The main overgrowth symptoms I get are facial rashing with tiny pustules, severe depression, brain fog, blurry vision, itchy skin/scalp, digestive disturbances - sloshing gut, bloating, constipation and diarrhea, poor sleep, restless legs, slight odor in my underarms and a white coated tongue. All of these disappear if I stick to easily digestible carbs (fruit).
"One regret, my dear world, that I am determined not to have when I am lying on my deathbed is that I did not kiss you enough." ~ Hafiz