•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
My Log
(04-04-2017, 11:59 PM)Jennifer Wrote: Darn, James. Sad I wish others would chime in. I have such a different approach that I don't think I'm of much help to you, but I'll keep trying.

Did you switch back to the cynomel?

Did you happen to take some systolic blood pressure readings?

How is your gut doing? Has your digestion improved?

Other than the frustration from not sleeping, is everything else in your life going okay? No problems with school, family, friends etc.?

Is the apple juice fresh pressed or is it bottled? If bottled, is it 100% apple juice with nothing else added such as enzymes (commonly used in the manufacturing process, but not usually listed under the ingredients), citric or ascorbic acid?

Assuming it's bottled, you're back on cynomel and no other variables in your life have changed, the only reason I can think of as to why AJ is causing you issues is it's somehow irritating you and triggering stress hormones, which is possible if it's made from unripe/bad apples and/or has irritating ingredients added.

Other than dietary changes, the only things I can think to recommend are herbal and relaxation strategies. If you're still struggling with excess adrenaline despite thyroid supplementation, there are adrenal supportive herbs and/or adaptogenic herbs that can possibly help lower your stress hormones and calm your nervous system. Or what about getting regular massages? If cost is a concern, massage schools offer them at a low rate. That or perhaps you have a partner who would be willing to massage you nightly before bed until you get into a rhythm of sleeping?

Back when I first fractured I had extreme insomnia so to overcome it, every night before bed I would drink chamomile tea, soak in a bath of Epsom salts, rose and vanilla essential oils (others find lavender calming) while listening to Norah Jones or other soothing music, and then get into bed where I was massaged until I fell asleep. It seems too simple to work, but it did. I think part of it was due to feeling safe (my adrenals could finally relax) and part of it was loosening up the tension that developed from trying to stay upright. I did a lot of falling down and getting back up in those days while relearning how to walk.
Hi Jenn,

Thanks for writing. 

I switched back to cynomel, but I forgot about the systolic blood pressure readings - thanks for reminding me.

The AJ is bottled in glass from fresh apples, so maybe the apples are unripe? I am not sure.

Im kind of stressed out that I haven't found a job for after I graduate yet, and Im starting to feel that I am never going to be able to get healthy again. I have some interviews lined up but no offers in the US yet. There is the Thailand job, but the pay is too low. One company in Texas said that if I was hired I could work remotely - I really hope they hire me so I can live down in Mexico at high altitude. I bet I would get healthy quickly down there with the fruits and sun.

I can't really spend money on massages right now, and don't have a partner. But I can totally relate to not feeling safe, even when I walk down the street and hear a loud noise or someone walking behind me I can feel my adrenaline spike. 

I soak in epsom salt baths sometimes, but it really doesn't do much for me.

I have been talking with a blogger who got better using peat's work and he suggested that I take B1, vitamin c, biotin, and riboflavin. Although, I've gone the supplement route in the past and it didn't help me so I am skeptical. 

I added liver to my diet, so maybe the b vitamins from there will help me. 

I just feel like I am wasting my youth and that this will never be over.
I think it is simpler than many people make it out to be to reverse a slow metabolism.

"When people supplement thyroid and eat liver once or twice a week, their acne and dandruff (and many other problems) usually clear up very quickly. It was acne and dandruff that led me into studying the steroids and thyroid, and in the process I found that they were related to constipation and food sensitivity." - Ray Peat

I think when your metabolism is slow your liver is just backed up with estrogen/toxins which result in hypothyroid symptoms. Thyroid or caffeine allows your body to increase the rate it excretes that estrogen/toxins from your tissues.

In the short term this release of toxins from storage can result in worsening side effects like increased stress hormones, water retention. insomnia, lowered appetite, ect.

To counteract this problem, activated charcoal, fibers, or laxatives can help bind and excrete the released toxins with less side effects. I think that increasing magnesium intake also helps. I've had the most success on thyroid and caffeine when I have around 3 containers of frozen concentrated orange juice/day(40ish% of calories), compared with getting some or all of those calories from starch, dairy, or other juice.
"The true method of knowledge is experiment." -William Blake
(04-08-2017, 08:35 PM)James_001 Wrote:
(04-04-2017, 11:59 PM)Jennifer Wrote: Darn, James. Sad I wish others would chime in. I have such a different approach that I don't think I'm of much help to you, but I'll keep trying.

Did you switch back to the cynomel?

Did you happen to take some systolic blood pressure readings?

How is your gut doing? Has your digestion improved?

Other than the frustration from not sleeping, is everything else in your life going okay? No problems with school, family, friends etc.?

Is the apple juice fresh pressed or is it bottled? If bottled, is it 100% apple juice with nothing else added such as enzymes (commonly used in the manufacturing process, but not usually listed under the ingredients), citric or ascorbic acid?

Assuming it's bottled, you're back on cynomel and no other variables in your life have changed, the only reason I can think of as to why AJ is causing you issues is it's somehow irritating you and triggering stress hormones, which is possible if it's made from unripe/bad apples and/or has irritating ingredients added.

Other than dietary changes, the only things I can think to recommend are herbal and relaxation strategies. If you're still struggling with excess adrenaline despite thyroid supplementation, there are adrenal supportive herbs and/or adaptogenic herbs that can possibly help lower your stress hormones and calm your nervous system. Or what about getting regular massages? If cost is a concern, massage schools offer them at a low rate. That or perhaps you have a partner who would be willing to massage you nightly before bed until you get into a rhythm of sleeping?

Back when I first fractured I had extreme insomnia so to overcome it, every night before bed I would drink chamomile tea, soak in a bath of Epsom salts, rose and vanilla essential oils (others find lavender calming) while listening to Norah Jones or other soothing music, and then get into bed where I was massaged until I fell asleep. It seems too simple to work, but it did. I think part of it was due to feeling safe (my adrenals could finally relax) and part of it was loosening up the tension that developed from trying to stay upright. I did a lot of falling down and getting back up in those days while relearning how to walk.
Hi Jenn,

Thanks for writing. 

I switched back to cynomel, but I forgot about the systolic blood pressure readings - thanks for reminding me.

The AJ is bottled in glass from fresh apples, so maybe the apples are unripe? I am not sure.

Im kind of stressed out that I haven't found a job for after I graduate yet, and Im starting to feel that I am never going to be able to get healthy again. I have some interviews lined up but no offers in the US yet. There is the Thailand job, but the pay is too low. One company in Texas said that if I was hired I could work remotely - I really hope they hire me so I can live down in Mexico at high altitude. I bet I would get healthy quickly down there with the fruits and sun.

I can't really spend money on massages right now, and don't have a partner. But I can totally relate to not feeling safe, even when I walk down the street and hear a loud noise or someone walking behind me I can feel my adrenaline spike. 

I have been talking with a blogger who got better using peat's work and he suggested that I take B1, vitamin c, biotin, and riboflavin. Although, I've gone the supplement route in the past and it didn't help me so I am skeptical. 

I think B1 and thiamine is a good combination for any condition.
[color=#222222][size=medium]"I have no religion, no political affiliation: I believe in me, above everything else." -Chasing Good & Evil[/size][/color]
Also james how is your lower abdominal/pelvic function? IIRC you have symptoms like mine. Low dose naltrexone has cured my gut-related insomnia, i would sleep all day previously, and now i wake up at 7 full of energy, after one day of use at 1mg. Im also doing a lot to strengthen by abdomen and pelvis. Also 100mg pantothenic acid may he helping. Challenging to tease apart the influences, but I feel it's the naltrexone that has affected me moet proroundly. Potato juice may be helping me use protein as well. For recalcitrant digestive issues, i think abdominopelvic weakness/dysfunction must be considered.
[color=#222222][size=medium]"I have no religion, no political affiliation: I believe in me, above everything else." -Chasing Good & Evil[/size][/color]
(04-10-2017, 03:39 PM)Sea Wrote: I think it is simpler than many people make it out to be to reverse a slow metabolism.

"When people supplement thyroid and eat liver once or twice a week, their acne and dandruff (and many other problems) usually clear up very quickly. It was acne and dandruff that led me into studying the steroids and thyroid, and in the process I found that they were related to constipation and food sensitivity." - Ray Peat

I think when your metabolism is slow your liver is just backed up with estrogen/toxins which result in hypothyroid symptoms. Thyroid or caffeine allows your body to increase the rate it excretes that estrogen/toxins from your tissues.

In the short term this release of toxins from storage can result in worsening side effects like increased stress hormones, water retention. insomnia, lowered appetite, ect.

To counteract this problem, activated charcoal, fibers, or laxatives can help bind and excrete the released toxins with less side effects. I think that increasing magnesium intake also helps. I've had the most success on thyroid and caffeine when I have around 3 containers of frozen concentrated orange juice/day(40ish% of calories), compared with getting some or all of those calories from starch, dairy, or other juice.

Thanks for the response, but I don't think its that simple. I had major trauma a few years ago and have being 'peating' for two years with thyroid, caffeine etc....
(04-10-2017, 04:05 PM)ChasingGoodandEvil Wrote: Also james how is your lower abdominal/pelvic function? IIRC you have symptoms like mine. Low dose naltrexone has cured my gut-related insomnia, i would sleep all day previously, and now i wake up at 7 full of energy, after one day of use at 1mg. Im also doing a lot to strengthen by abdomen and pelvis. Also 100mg pantothenic acid may he helping. Challenging to tease apart the influences, but I feel it's the naltrexone that has affected me moet proroundly. Potato juice may be helping me use protein as well. For recalcitrant digestive issues, i think abdominopelvic weakness/dysfunction must be considered.

Hey thanks man. I just ordered some LDN, so ill see how that goes. What have you done to address the abdominal weakness? thanks again
Squats (can be wall squats), planks, and push ups are great to improve abdominal/pelvic function. A doctor recommended me pelvic curls to improve blood flow in the lower abdomen and I like it a lot. Kegel exercises can also be effective for bowel movement improvement.
Also Chasing,

How much LDN did you start with?

@nikotrope, thanks Ill try those
(04-08-2017, 08:35 PM)James_001 Wrote: Hi Jenn,

Thanks for writing. 

It's totally understandable why you feel the way you do. You have a lot on your plate right now. I mean, not only are you in the process of establishing your place in the world, you're doing it on little sleep. There's one thing I've been meaning to ask you, do you genuinely enjoy your diet? You like everything you eat, yeah? 

I was just curious if your systolic pressure ran low (below 120) because your symptoms and past trauma have had me questioning if an adrenal gland weakness is involved, and a low systolic reading would point to that. You could even have one gland weaker than the other and that's why I mentioned taking readings on both arms. 

Out of curiosity, was the blogger coming from a past of low-carb and/or calorie restriction/intermittent fasting? Anyhow, it's great that he was able to get better using Ray's work. So did you, right? I think getting your B vitamins from a food source is a good plan. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if that job with the company in Texas is right for you, you'll get it. I can just imagine how healing the sun and fruit in Mexico would be. Hopefully, you'll have some nice weather this week and find yourself able to sleep. The temps got up to 76 here. 

Hang in there, James!
"One regret, my dear world, that I am determined not to have when I am lying on my deathbed is that I did not kiss you enough." ~ Hafiz
Oh, and I forgot to mention that a combination of apple and lemon juice are said to be good for clearing the liver/gallbladder and promoting bile. Apple juice for dissolving stones (malic acid) and lemon juice for bile production. Even better is they taste great together IMHO.
"One regret, my dear world, that I am determined not to have when I am lying on my deathbed is that I did not kiss you enough." ~ Hafiz

•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next