Best fruit for juicing?
I'm wondering if anyone has ideas about the best fruits for pulp free juicing? 

I like to use a hand-cranking manual juicer. I seem to enjoy it. The only thing I find is that higher water content makes a pulp free juice?

For tropical fruit, I see this:
Quote:Common Name                                 Scientific Name                                                     Moisture (%)
Starfruit-B10                                                  Averrhoa carambola L.                                        91.25 ± 0.14
Mango-Chokanan                                          Mangifera indica L.                                             88.67 ± 0.44
Papaya-Foot Long                                         Carica papaya L.                                                  79.75 ± 0.18
Muskmelon-Sunmelon                                   Cucumis melo L.                                                 92.38 ± 0.17
Watermelon-redmelon                                   Citruluss lanatus (Thunb.)                                92.47 ± 0.12

For other fruit I see this:

Fruit                                        Water content

Watermelon and strawberries         92 percent 

grapefruit                                     91 percent

cantaloupe                                   90 percent 

peaches                                       88 percent 

pineapple, cranberries, 
orange and raspberries                  87 percent 

Apricots                                       86 percent 

blueberries and plums                    85 percent 

apples and pears                           84 percent.

Pomegranate,
cherries and grapes                       81 percent

bananas                                       74 percent
My avatar: William Blake, Vision of Strength
[img]http://i.imgur.com/7sD2Hod.jpg[/img]
The moisture content of fruit tends to increase the more they ripen; http://www.bioline.org.br/request?nd11056 (Effect Of Ripening Stage On Composition, Sensory Qualities And Acceptability Of Keitt Mango (Mangifera indica L.)

I'm curious why there isn't citrus on your list? Valencia oranges have around 90%+ moisture content when ripe.
oh shit lol, i didn't see 'orange' in your list.

Regardless, I'm not really sure there are any better fruits than oranges when it comes to juicing, at least in my experience. Some of the 'solid' tropical fruits like pawpaw, cherimoya, etc. are absolutely delicious though.
(01-03-2017, 05:30 PM)frater conficiens Wrote: oh shit lol, i didn't see 'orange' in your list.

Regardless, I'm not really sure there are any better fruits than oranges when it comes to juicing, at least in my experience. Some of the 'solid' tropical fruits like pawpaw, cherimoya, etc. are absolutely delicious though.

Thanks. A friend here on the forum, huxleyan, wants to acquire an orange grove. Such is the love of that fruit.
If your biggest concern is fiber, you can make any juice pulp free if you do a final straining with a coffee filter. You'll likely have to clear fiber from the filter periodically to keep the juice straining through, but you'll end up with a clear juice this way. I used this technique for making my potato juice extract.

Watermelon is great for the kidneys and filtration, grapes, lemons and any of the berries are very astringent cleansers (of metabolic waste), and I haven't tried this combo yet, but apple and lemon (2:1) supposedly taste similar to lemon meringue.

Bee and I are currently going at the melons. Do you like melons and have a Walmart Supercenter near you? The Supercenter here has been stocked each week with canaries. I just bought 10 to last me a few days. They're not labeled canary, but you can't miss them. They're bright yellow and come in an orange netting. I pay $3.96 per melon. 

Besides galias (my favorite), canaries are the one variety of melon I've come across here that are consistently sweet and ripe so their flesh is soft and juicy and I imagine, perfect for juicing. For me, a bonus is their flesh is white so I avoid the Oompa Loompa look that my previous cantaloupe binges have caused.
"One regret, my dear world, that I am determined not to have when I am lying on my deathbed is that I did not kiss you enough." ~ Hafiz
(01-04-2017, 12:02 AM)Jennifer Wrote: If your biggest concern is fiber, you can make any juice pulp free if you do a final straining with a coffee filter. You'll likely have to clear fiber from the filter periodically to keep the juice straining through, but you'll end up with a clear juice this way. I used this technique for making my potato juice extract.

Watermelon is great for the kidneys and filtration, grapes, lemons and any of the berries are very astringent cleansers (of metabolic waste), and I haven't tried this combo yet, but apple and lemon (2:1) supposedly taste similar to lemon meringue.

Bee and I are currently going at the melons. Do you like melons and have a Walmart Supercenter near you? The Supercenter here has been stocked each week with canaries. I just bought 10 to last me a few days. They're not labeled canary, but you can't miss them. They're bright yellow and come in an orange netting. I pay $3.96 per melon. 

Besides galias (my favorite), canaries are the one variety of melon I've come across here that are consistently sweet and ripe so their flesh is soft and juicy and I imagine, perfect for juicing. For me, a bonus is their flesh is white so I avoid the Oompa Loompa look that my previous cantaloupe binges have caused.

Yes, I'm looking for fruit that will play nicely with my hand-cranked masticating juicer. Pears and apples don't go easily, and mangoes and bananas give me very little juice.

Now, if I use an electric masticating juicer, then I can strain and get quite a bit more juice, you say?

Hmm, so you're right, I guess I actually save money by getting more juice from the electric juicer. Is that what you're saying? Oh, you are clever, Jennifer.
(01-04-2017, 01:29 PM)VoS Wrote: Yes, I'm looking for fruit that will play nicely with my hand-cranked masticating juicer. Pears and apples don't go easily, and mangoes and bananas give me very little juice.

Now, if I use an electric masticating juicer, then I can strain and get quite a bit more juice, you say?

Hmm, so you're right, I guess I actually save money by getting more juice from the electric juicer. Is that what you're saying? Oh, you are clever, Jennifer.

Aside from the types of fruit used, I do think an electric juicer will ultimately yield more juice and save you money, yes. Though, in fairness, I've never used a hand-crank masticating juicer and you're probably much stronger than I am. 

I find I get the best yield using a combination of my Vitamix and 2 ton hydraulic juice press. It's a poor man's version of a Norwalk, the best juicer out there IMHO. The Norwalk unit houses a separate grinder and hydraulic press, which if I remember correctly, gives 1 ton of pressure. 

I tried getting a vintage Norwalk grinder on eBay, but was away when the auction ended and was out bid. Still hoping to keep oxidation of the juice as low as possible, as well as the price, I contemplated buying a Champion juicer to use as a grinder or just buying a meat grinder, but figured I would get more use with a blender. 

Do you use a hand-crank masticating juicer to save energy and/or because it causes the least amount of oxidation? If oxidation is a concern and you want to avoid the steep price and time consuming cleanup of a Norwalk, a good option is a slow speed vertical masticating juicers, preferably with a wide chute (saves on prep time). 

The vertical ones tend to be better at juicing soft fruits, while the horizontal ones are better at juicing greens. There are vertical ones on the market that go as low as 37 RPMs. On average, they yield more juice than a centrifugal, but they also leave behind more pulp so for your needs, it will likely require some extra straining. 

Sorry if that was way more than you wanted to know.
"One regret, my dear world, that I am determined not to have when I am lying on my deathbed is that I did not kiss you enough." ~ Hafiz
https://www.amazon.com/Jupiter-Large-Com...B0000CFBZP or https://www.amazon.com/New-Star-Foodserv...B00KQ47HL0

Just use a metal strainer or a cheesecloth.
(01-04-2017, 09:58 PM)Jennifer Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 01:29 PM)VoS Wrote: Yes, I'm looking for fruit that will play nicely with my hand-cranked masticating juicer. Pears and apples don't go easily, and mangoes and bananas give me very little juice.

Aside from the types of fruit used, I do think an electric juicer will ultimately yield more juice and save you money, yes. Though, in fairness, I've never used a hand-crank masticating juicer and you're probably much stronger than I am. 

I find I get the best yield using a combination of my Vitamix and 2 ton hydraulic juice press. It's a poor man's version of a Norwalk, the best juicer out there IMHO. The Norwalk unit houses a separate grinder and hydraulic press, which if I remember correctly, gives 1 ton of pressure. 

I tried getting a vintage Norwalk grinder on eBay, but was away when the auction ended and was out bid. Still hoping to keep oxidation of the juice as low as possible, as well as the price, I contemplated buying a Champion juicer to use as a grinder or just buying a meat grinder, but figured I would get more use with a blender. 

Do you use a hand-crank masticating juicer to save energy and/or because it causes the least amount of oxidation? If oxidation is a concern and you want to avoid the steep price and time consuming cleanup of a Norwalk, a good option is a slow speed vertical masticating juicers, preferably with a wide chute (saves on prep time). 

The vertical ones tend to be better at juicing soft fruits, while the horizontal ones are better at juicing greens. There are vertical ones on the market that go as low as 37 RPMs. On average, they yield more juice than a centrifugal, but they also leave behind more pulp so for your needs, it will likely require some extra straining. 

Sorry if that was way more than you wanted to know.
Wow, so I tried to slow speed vertical masticating juicer. It was a big stretch for me, because I try to stay off the grid and avoid gimmicks and gadgets. 

But even for this staunch anarchist, it was a real life-changer. If the grid goes down, I will really miss my slow speed masticating juicer. 

Grapes make a heavenly grape juice. Pears and apples make nectar from the gods. Who knew? 

Not me!

Ok, Jennifer, what else you got in your bag of tricks?
Oh, yay! Awesome! Big Grin I thought it might be an off the grid reason. My family has worked in the solar industry for 3 generations so I get it. My goal is to live a self-sustaining life in Hawaii someday.

Haha! So now you can understand why I let myself turn the color of an Oompa Loompa that one summer. Cantaloupe nectar of the gods! Haven't had any like it since. Let me know if you try the apple and lemon combo?

Currently, I'm in the midst of helping to achieve the "impossible." Nothing lights a fire in me more than being told what I or any other being aren't capable of. So far, things are looking promising. If all goes well, I'll have quite a few tricks to share.