Muscle Gain for giraffe metabolism
(08-31-2016, 10:04 AM)ChasingGoodandEvil Wrote:
(05-26-2016, 02:15 PM)Any suggestions for probiotic enemas? I think ive narrowed at leasst part of my problem down to methanogens or some kind of anaerobe, for when i tried flagyl thjngs imprkved greatly. But the side effects are intolerable. Wrote: Small amounts of sweet kefir are safe, because there's not too much lactic acid from an overly long fermentation.  When the kefir is fermented too long, it can be strained through a cheesecloth or towel to drain off the lactic acid.

The small intestine should be nearly sterile, and the colon or large intestine should have as little undigested food as possible, because undigested food becomes an environment for the bad or putrefactive bacteria.

In an aerobe environment, harmless lactobacilli are nearly odorless.

Supplements of progesterone, urea and salt, along with the bicarbonate forms of potassium and magnesium, help to reduce gut inflammation because they draw excess water out of the tissue.

Slowing the breathing also reduces swelling, because the carbon dioxide that builds up in the blood has the same effect of drawing excess water out of the tissue.  

The warm rectal infusion, up to 47 degrees C, also reduces swelling, because local hyperthermia is applied to the tissues.

Wanted go say thanks for your help ... i was skeptical but tried the kefiran and i must say it seems to be working. Any thoughts on ritanserin and detriment to libido? I don't suppose you're a fan of riaximin? I jave some on the way because flagyl, though it got things moving for me, had many side effects. I haddescending colon inflammation and burning, from the spenic flexure down, but tbe kefiran does seem to be helping quite a bit. Anyways the main thing i wanted to say was thank you for suggesting the kefiran.
[color=#222222][size=medium]"I have no religion, no political affiliation: I believe in me, above everything else." -Chasing Good & Evil[/size][/color]
I second the magnesium bicarbonate, working up to a decently large daily dose. Epsom salt baths as well.

As for actually building muscle that is atrophied, i highly suggest looking into whats known as Muscle Control. I think it started off as a way for bed ridden people to exercise, simply by flexing muscle groups. A strongman by the name of Max Sick (Maxick) took it to a whole new level as a way to build an incredible physique as well as muscle contraction strength. Googling the terms above will get you a ton of solid info on the subject.
(11-21-2016, 04:39 PM)Zachs Wrote: I second the magnesium bicarbonate, working up to a decently large daily dose.  Epsom salt baths as well.

As for actually building muscle that is atrophied, i highly suggest looking into whats known as Muscle Control.  I think it started off as a way for bed ridden people to exercise, simply by flexing muscle groups. A strongman by the name of Max Sick (Maxick) took it to a whole new level as a way to build an incredible physique as well as muscle contraction strength.  Googling the terms above will get you a ton of solid info on the subject.

Thanks I'll check it out.
[color=#222222][size=medium]"I have no religion, no political affiliation: I believe in me, above everything else." -Chasing Good & Evil[/size][/color]
(05-26-2016, 05:41 AM)VoS Wrote: There is also a home remedy that was widely used for centuries to treat inflammation. It's commonly called the rectal infusion. You just mix some warm coffee and salt, and apply it into the rectum gently with a bulb or glider syringe.

I've never thought to add salt. What is the reasoning behind this?

A coffee enema on the fasting day really aids the liver in flushing out all toxins. Especially beneficial for anyone who has visceral fat.
(11-23-2016, 02:01 AM)halken Wrote:
(05-26-2016, 05:41 AM)VoS Wrote: There is also a home remedy that was widely used for centuries to treat inflammation. It's commonly called the rectal infusion. You just mix some warm coffee and salt, and apply it into the rectum gently with a bulb or glider syringe.

I've never thought to add salt. What is the reasoning behind this?

A coffee enema on the fasting day really aids the liver in flushing out all toxins. Especially beneficial for anyone who has visceral fat.
It's an idea that Ray wrote about here, that hypertonic salt reduces inflammation by creating a gradient to pull excess water out of the tissue. In this way of picturing it, visceral fat would be a kind of inflammation of the tissue due to excess water.

The reverse can also be true, that a hypo-osmotic fluid, with too little salt, can add water to the tissue.

I tend to use maybe a tablespoon or more of salt over the course of the day, with plenty of the potassium and magnesium bicarbonate salts, too.

There's a talk Ray gave that answers some questions about salt here.
My avatar: William Blake, Vision of Strength
[img]http://i.imgur.com/7sD2Hod.jpg[/img]
When you say "hypertonic salt", do you mean regular salt mixed in with the coffee solution? Or something else entirely? 

What about epsom salt?

I'm gonna have to try this.
(11-23-2016, 12:33 PM)halken Wrote: When you say "hypertonic salt", do you mean regular salt mixed in with the coffee solution? Or something else entirely? 

What about epsom salt?

I'm gonna have to try this.

Yes, I just mean regular salt or sodium chloride at about 3-5% solution (isotonic blood is about 0.9%).  

As near as I can tell, magnesium works like sodium in the extracellular matrix.

But isotonic magnesium is only about 0.05%, so hypertonic would be about 0.15 to 0.25%.

A deficiency in sodium chloride or magnesium (and thus an excess of water) results from too little CO2. The amount of CO2 influences the gradient of these minerals into and out of the cellular matrix. Hypothyroidism can be pictured as a deficiency in CO2 or hyperventilatin.

The more CO2 we have, the less salt and magnesium we lose through excretion. Extra salt (a tablespoon) and magnesium bicarbonate can make up for hyperventilating CO2.
My avatar: William Blake, Vision of Strength
[img]http://i.imgur.com/7sD2Hod.jpg[/img]
Wow, thanks for that. Another piece to the puzzle.
(05-16-2016, 08:02 AM)ChasingGoodandEvil Wrote: I've struggled with severe pelvic muscle atrophy for a number of years. The addition of thyroid, approx 2 grains, improved digestion, but now i need to build muscle quickly. I know ray is against synthetic amino acids, s I'm guessing BCAA supplement is.out. i crrently take 2 grains thyroid, aspirin, methylenenblue (under 1mg/;day), haidut's energin, fat solubles. Drink anlot of milk, consume gelatin. Anything I can add to improve muscle development? Huh

I had a lot of success with weightlifting and cyproheptadine (very low dose, 0.5-1g 2x day).

Cypro definitely increased my temps (I always sit in the 97F range, but it went up to 98F while on it), helped calm me down (I was suffering from anxiety at the time), and helped tack on the muscle and get stronger. This should be no surprise, since it does have anti-anxyolitic properties, and is used in high doses for recovering anorexics. This should go without saying, but it's best taken with minimal other supplements/drugs (other than zinc, which it depletes rather quickly).
ChasingGoodandEvil Wrote
Quote:Wanted go say thanks for your help ... i was skeptical but tried the kefiran and i must say it seems to be working. Any thoughts on ritanserin and detriment to libido? I don't suppose you're a fan of riaximin? I jave some on the way because flagyl, though it got things moving for me, had many side effects. I haddescending colon inflammation and burning, from the spenic flexure down, but tbe kefiran does seem to be helping quite a bit. Anyways the main thing i wanted to say was thank you for suggesting the kefiran.

I hope you did not use Ritanserin, it has serious side effects. Firstly, Ritanserin has two fluorine-carbon
bond. RP mentioned in an email regarding anti histamines Claritin that molecule with carbon- fluorine and carbon-chlorine causes liver damage

RP has also mentioned that most anti-serotonin drugs are problematic in long term
and cyrpoheptadine being the safest. Ritanserin increases QT interval in only 10 weeks
study and increased QT interval is associated with sudden death from heart disease.
QT interval is not increased in cyproheptadine use. It only took few minutes of googling
to find out that Ritanserin has serious side effects.  I asked Ray Peat about
Ritanserin and he replied that he never recommended it to anyone.

Ritanserin in the treatment of cocaine dependence
Author links open overlay panelBankole A.JohnsonaY. RichardChenaAlan C.SwannaJoySchmitzaJaryLesseraPedroRuizaPhilipJohnsonbChristopherClydec
Show more

https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-3223(96)00490-8Get rights and content

Sixty-five cocaine-dependent subjects were enrolled into a 10-week randomized, double-blind study to determine the safety and efficacy of the serotonin-2 receptor antagonist, ritanserin (10 mg/day), in reducing cocaine consumption and craving. All subjects also participated in a structured intensive outpatient psychosocial program. Seventy-three percent of the participants completed the treatment program and follow-up. Subjects experienced a significant reduction in craving: 66.4% and 32.5% for the placebo and ritanserin groups, respectively. These reductions in craving were not paralleled by substantial decreases in cocaine use. Self-reported cocaine use was less frequent in the placebo group; paradoxically, blood levels of its metabolite, benzoylecgonine, were also higher although insignificantly so. Generally, ritanserin was well tolerated but significantly prolonged the QTc interval on the electrocardiogram. This outpatient program is effective at maintaining cocaine-dependent individuals in treatment and reducing craving. Ritanserin (10 mg/day) is not an efficacious adjunct to psychosocial treatment for cocaine dependence.
Key Words

J Pharmacol Sci. 2014;124(1):92-8. Epub 2013 Dec 27.
The conventional antihistamine drug cyproheptadine lacks QT-interval-prolonging action in halothane-anesthetized guinea pigs: comparison with hydroxyzine.
Kobayashi K1Omuro NTakahara A.
Author information

Abstract
Antihistamines are known to belong to the chemical class that may induce long QT syndrome. Among them, cyproheptadine has been shown to exert multifaceted actions on the ventricular repolarization phase; namely, shortening of the action potential duration at supra-therapeutic concentrations of 2 - 8 μM and prolongation of the QT interval at ≥ 10 μM. Since information is limited regarding the in vivo electrophysiological effects of cyproheptadine, we assessed it using the halothane-anesthetized guinea-pig model, which was compared with effects of another antihistamine drug, hydroxyzine. Sub-therapeutic to therapeutic doses of hydroxyzine at 1 and 10 mg/kg, i.v. prolonged the QT interval and duration of monophasic action potential, whereas therapeutic to supra-therapeutic doses of cyproheptadine at 0.1 and 1 mg/kg, i.v. hardly affected the indices of ventricular repolarization. These results suggest that cyproheptadine may be categorized into antihistamines with little effect on the ventricular repolarization