Aspirin is pro-histamine and damages the mucosa
"The in vitro DNA synthesis and RNA concentration, an index of mucosal growth, were reduced at day 3 but then increased to reach about 150% of initial value at the end of aspirin treatment. It is concluded that the treatment with aspirin in humans induces gastric adaptation to this agent, which entails the increase in mucosal blood flow, the rise in neutrophil activation, and the enhancement in mucosal growth."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1375693/
"Ray Peat says ice cream can make you fat." - Westside PUFAs
(04-13-2017, 09:03 PM)Close to Nature Wrote: "The in vitro DNA synthesis and RNA concentration, an index of mucosal growth, were reduced at day 3 but then increased to reach about 150% of initial value at the end of aspirin treatment. It is concluded that the treatment with aspirin in humans induces gastric adaptation to this agent, which entails the increase in mucosal blood flow, the rise in neutrophil activation, and the enhancement in mucosal growth."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1375693/

This just further cements the idea (contrary to Peat) that aspirin is ultimately a hormetic substance, and it's benefits may be in part due to the adaptations elicited. 

Peat is quick to write off Metformin as a toxin, without realizing it's benefits are also delayed, much like aspirin (I do think aspirin is likely still superior though). https://link.springer.com/article/10.100...015-9769-x

Also I just want to quickly say how refreshing it is to find an open minded Peat community that actually has a section towards debating some more controversial Peat ideas. Looking forward to spending more time here.
(03-26-2017, 02:39 AM)bmoores Wrote: At first glance, it looks like it's context specific.  From the study, Aspirin also lowers histamine release "ASPIRIN INHIBITED HISTAMINE RELEASE IN- DUCED BY A23187, fMLP, AND THAPSIGARGIN A23187, fMLP, and thapsigargin also induce hista- mine release from basophils and mast cells by differ- ent mechanisms from anti-IgE21: A23187 directly acti- vates signaling pathways downstream of Ca2+ mobili- zation; fMLP activates a G protein-coupled receptor pathway; and thapsigargin induces Ca2+ influx by de- pletion of intracellular Ca2+ stores. In contrast to aspi- rin augmented IgE-mediated histamine release, 1000 μM of aspirin inhibited histamine release induced by A23187, fMLP, and thapsigargin (Fig. 4)."

Context specific definitely. Aspirin is a good drug. It should be used when needed though. Not everyone reacts well with daily use and lets not forget that some people from certain gene sets have bad reactions to anything with blood thinning properties. There's something called Genetic Hemochromatosis among Celtic populations (Scotland, Ireland, some English). This includes Americans with Ancestry from Celtic countries. This disorder (hemochromatosis) typically causes an excess deposition of Iron in tissues and this causes associated Symptoms of Iron Excess

Then there is general blood thinner "resistance" although it occurs more with Warfarin than other drugs.
I love the idea of aspirin as a wonder drug. Personally i cant take even a half tab without feeling really horrible.
(10-08-2017, 09:38 PM)Zachs Wrote: I love the idea of aspirin as a wonder drug.  Personally i cant take even a half tab without feeling really horrible.

did u try to solve the tab with some sodium bicarbonate water? Not only does it help to seperate the raw starch (better to avoid) from the ASA, it also neutralizes it and improves the tolerance and absorpion of it.

"Light microscopy studies 10 minutes after aspirin in saline showed damage in 20% of surface cells, with focal areas of cellular disruption and microscopic erosions, but only 3·4% of cells were damaged after aspirin in bicarbonate and there were no erosions. Electron microscopy showed a damaged honeycombed appearance of surface epithelium after aspirin in saline and a normal cobblestone appearance after aspirin in bicarbonate. Aspirin dissolved in bicarbonate failed to induce the usual fall in potential difference.

These findings indicate that sodium bicarbonate in amounts equivalent to one-third of a teaspoonful of baking soda protects the gastric mucosa against aspirin-induced damage and prevents the usual fall in potential difference after aspirin."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1631808/
"Ray Peat says ice cream can make you fat." - Westside PUFAs