My Theory on Digestion
I got interested in nutrition, when in my early twenties, my body began to deteriorate. I experienced symptoms such as back pain near the shoulder blades, various muscle and joint aches, food intolerances, and bloating along with a reduction in concentration and motivation.

Initially, I attempted a vegan diet which resolved some of my symptoms; I think in large part, due to an elimination of starches in favor of fruits, dried fruits, and juices, along with an increase in insoluble fiber from some vegetables which probably worked to prevent the re-absorption of toxins within my gastrointestinal tract.

Having been a vegetarian due to ethical reasons for some time, I wondered if my problems had stemmed from a lack of meat. This led me to veer in the direction of the Westin A Price foundation and Primal/Paleo diets. While, I initially experienced some improvements adopting aspects of these diets, my dandruff refused to go away. Anyone that has been around the paleo communities knows that any symptom is blamed on carbohydrates. This led me to the ketogenic, "Bulletproof Diet" which worsened my dandruff and brought back a resurgence of many of my original symptoms, including back pain. Around this time, gut bacteria were gaining publicity which led me to the, "Perfect Health Diet" along with resistant starch and probiotics. Of course, the addition of resistant starch, probiotics, and lots of "safe starches" further worsened my symptoms.

Stumped, I stumbled upon articles written by Ray Peat. Aspects of the articles made sense to me, especially given my experience eating low carbohydrate diets. At first, the dogmatic interpretation of Ray Peat's research often found on the internet didn't lead to much improvement. However, due to my cravings for fructose and ice cream, I thought there was truth within the research.

Eventually, I adopted a diet of mainly honey, fresh squeezed orange juice, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, occasional refined white flour, coffee and salt which resulted in my symptoms to begin improving. After much deliberation, I took the antibiotic minocycline for two weeks which allowed me to digest milk and all types of fruit juice without any problems.

Although my digestion remained pretty strong, overtime I found I needed to occasionally take the antibiotic again in order to maintain optimal digestion. It wasn't until I radically increased my caffeine intake to around 2000mg/day (Largely thanks to a forum post by VoS/visionofstrength, "VoS uncoupling thread") that my digestion seemed permanently resolved and my energy levels returned to the point of when I was in middle school. My diet changed to an average of roughly 4500 calories a day, primarily from concentrated juice, milk, and concentrated cold brew coffee, which allowed me to maintain a 99.5F average temperature while seemingly being able to tolerate unlimited amounts of caffeine.

Still inquisitive, I began to experiment with supplements produced by another forum member known as "Haidut". Initially the dhea supplement I tried further improved my metabolism, but shortly thereafter, Haidut changed his formulation to include a chemical known as DMSO. Unfortunately, I chose to try the new formulation and some more of his supplements because the original version had benefited me.

The new supplements, including DMSO initially worked very similar to the non-DMSO versions I had tried. However, after several months of inconsistent usage, I began to experience strange side effects. Upon stopping usage of the DMSO based supplements the side effects I was experiencing became amplified. It appeared as though the thyroid and dhea supplements I had been using, had been masking side effects to DMSO.

My temperature had fallen from an average of 99.5F during the day to an average of 97.2F. I was more hypothyroid than I had ever been before. Having lost the ability to digest milk, I tried my trusty antibiotic. While it seemed to help some of my symptoms, upon cessation they returned. Since I retained the ability to chug and adequately digest concentrated juice, bacteria did not appear a likely cause of my symptoms.

Lost, I tried large amounts(3-10tbs/day) of activated charcoal, although I don't think higher dosages are necessary, except in cases of posioning. I currently use dosages of roughly 3 tablespoons, well dissolved in a glass of juice, when I feel a craving for it. With activated charcoal in my system, many of the flu like symptoms I was experiencing resolved. However, these symptoms would return shortly after the activated charcoal was out of my system. Recalling my previous success with caffeine, I returned to coffee, but found I could now only tolerate around 1000mg of caffeine in a day. After a month of using activated charcoal and coffee concurrently, I regained the ability to digest milk. I theorized that the coffee was releasing the DMSO from my system, while the activated charcoal was binding it, allowing it to be excreted from my body. I began to slowly increase my intake of caffeine, which was significantly more difficult than when I had previously worked up to dosages in excess of 4000mg/day, prior to trying the chemical, DMSO. After several months of this, my body recovered and my digestive capabilities returned.

In conclusion, I believe that the health of the liver is the main determinant of metabolic rate. I think that when toxins are built up in the liver the metabolic rate decreases, and only by getting the toxins out can digestion and metabolism be fully restored. I believe that liver health can be optimized by gradually ramping up caffeine intake, throughout the day, from low water sources like concentrated coffee or espresso. I think that adding caffeine pills to regular coffee can work as well, although caffeine pills are more likely to raise my stress hormones than the same amount of caffeine from coffee. I think that increased stress hormones from coffee can largely be mitigated with activated charcoal, while ensuring adequate caloric intake. In my experience, calories, salt, vitamin A, niacinamide, topical vitamin E, aspirin, and pregnenolone may help in countering side effects from caffeine. I think that acute usage of small amounts of some antibiotics(tetracyclines and penicillin) can also help in raising tolerance to caffeine by reducing the livers burden of endotoxin from daily food intake.

Lastly, I think that with a weak digestive tract and low body temperature fruit and normal juice contain too much fiber and water respectively to work well as carbohydrate sources. I think that honey, concentrated juice(possibly diluting with regular juice can make it easier to digest), real fresh squeezed orange juice, and refined starches like white rice work better in this situation. I think that as metabolism improves other refined starches like white flour can help to increase calories and metabolism. And, that sodas may become tolerable before most fruit juices. I think that with a good functioning metabolism, water is less of a problem and it may be optimal to obtain the majority of carbohydrates from non-starch sources, while the fiber in fruit is unlikely to pose any problem. In my experience, I believe that concentrated juice is one of the best carbohydrate sources if you can digest it. I also think that fat can be difficult to digest with weak digestion, with the exception of refined coconut oil, and I have typically had the most success limiting fat in favor of protein sources like greek yogurt and cottage cheese, or lower fat meats, when my digestion has been impaired.

Hopefully, my experience can be of use to those who are still struggling with hypothyroidism or digestive problems.
"The true method of knowledge is experiment." -William Blake
Whats your view on the necessity of peristaltic agents so that minimum toxins have to pass thru the liver?

I'm not disputing the efficacy of caffeine in liver clearance, but my instinctual response is that this is not sustainable for the long-term. Is this more of a one time thing and then you have a continual-basis plan as well?

Also how much have you looked into sulfur/sulfates? I've been preparing a post about sulfur for a year, but i have too much non-Peat conjecture for many to handle. Sulfur appears to be the backbone of most toxin excretion mechanisms and I never hear any Peater eaters talk about it. Sublimed sulfur continually surprises me as to how useful it can be for different things.
Thanks for sharing! Looking back i initially had pisitive effects from some of haiduts supps but gradually they started to give me adrenalin rushes and panic attack like symptoms. They resolved when i went off them.
(11-22-2016, 11:19 PM)sm1693 Wrote: Whats your view on the necessity of peristaltic agents so that minimum toxins have to pass thru the liver?

I'm not disputing the efficacy of caffeine in liver clearance, but my instinctual response is that this is not sustainable for the long-term. Is this more of a one time thing and then you have a continual-basis plan as well?

Also how much have you looked into sulfur/sulfates? I've been preparing a post about sulfur for a year, but i have too much non-Peat conjecture for many to handle. Sulfur appears to be the backbone of most toxin excretion mechanisms and I never hear any Peater eaters talk about it. Sublimed sulfur continually surprises me as to how useful it can be for different things.

In my experience, the faster metabolism becomes, the less of an effect I get from any supplement and things like fiber/activated charcoal don't seem necessary. In regards to caffeine, I think that it doesn't produce much of an effect, even at high dosages, when metabolism is functioning well. I would drink around 1000mg of caffeine before bed and notice a relaxing effect and good sleep. I believe that withdrawal from caffeine and other side effects result from a detoxifying effect it is having, leaving toxins in the gastrointestinal tract which people clear at different rates based on overall metabolic function and dietary factors including fiber and caloric intake. Prior to trying DMSO, I never noticed an effect from topical Vitamin E or pregnenolone, but after using DMSO I noticed a relaxing effect from both topical vitamin E and pregnenolone along with an increase in peristalsis similar to aspirin.

I look forward to your post about sulfur. I have tried to look into sulfur, but I haven't made much progress as it seems like it is not very well understood at the present time.
Thanks Sea for sharing.

I experience digestion issues, recently I added more fat into my diet, and I think my liver has trouble with it, because I feel sometimes pain.

At the same time fats are great source of calories in my case to gain weight.

Any acid fruits / juices I cannot eat.
(11-22-2016, 11:19 PM)sm1693 Wrote: Whats your view on the necessity of peristaltic agents so that minimum toxins have to pass thru the liver?

Ray mentions sulphur a little bit here:

Quote:Nutritional supplements that might help to prevent or correct these brain syndromes include: Vitamin E and  coconut oil; vitamin A; magnesium, sodium; thyroid which  includes T3; large amounts of animal protein, especially  eggs; sulfur, such as magnesium sulfate or flowers of  sulfur, but not to take continuously, because of sulfur's interference with copper absorption; pregnenolone; progesterone if needed.  Bright light, weak in the blue end of the spectrum and with protection against ultraviolet, activates respiratory metabolism and quenches free radicals.  Raw carrot fiber and/or laxatives if needed; charcoal occasionally for gas or bowel  irritation.  Coconut oil serves several purposes.  Its butyric acid is known to increase T3 uptake by glial cells.  It has a general pro-thyroid action, for example by diluting and displacing antithyroid unsaturated oils, its short- and medium-chain fatty acids sustain blood sugar and have antiallergic actions, and it protects mitochondria against stressinjury. 
My avatar: William Blake, Vision of Strength
[img]http://i.imgur.com/7sD2Hod.jpg[/img]
How do you know that the negative effects you experienced were not due to the gradual accumulation of DHEA from supplementation over a long period of time, or possibly the "active" ingredients of the other new supplements you started taking? Seems like there are too many variables in play here to be able to place the blame squarely on DMSO.
(11-24-2016, 11:43 PM)things Wrote: How do you know that the negative effects you experienced were not due to the gradual accumulation of DHEA from supplementation over a long period of time, or possibly the "active" ingredients of the other new supplements you started taking? Seems like there are too many variables in play here to be able to place the blame squarely on DMSO.

I didn't make it clear in the original post, but it is a summary of roughly a four year period. During my experiments with DMSO, other variables changed very little. The side effects I experienced were consistent with the known side effects of DMSO and the sulfites, and I did verify the reaction by trying small amounts several weeks after initially discontinuing usage of those supplements. I had prior experience supplementing DHEA, Thyroid and vitamin K2, while never experiencing such side effects. DHEA is used in the body building community at significantly higher dosages than those found in Haidut's DMSO supplements and is generally viewed as a very mild supplement. Further, accumulation of DHEA wouldn't make any sense in my case as non-DMSO DHEA helped me recover, and I have yet to experience side effects from non-DMSO DHEA after using much more over a longer period of time. Likewise, the NDT(WPThyroid) also aided in my recovery at dosages as high as 4 grains/day until I ran out. Therefore, from my perspective there is no doubt that the side effects I experienced were the result of DMSO or its metabolites.
Thanks for the clarification.
Sea, how long did you take the DMSO before noticing the symptoms?

I started taking Tyromax (with no prior Thyroid ever before), and initially it was good, but after some time I started to notice some symptoms, like my pulse, was on the 50's, when usually it was on the 60's before starting the Tyromax.
So, I stopped it. And my pulse came back up.
Then I bought the Tyromix, and again it was great at the beginning, but as with the Tyromax, again, after some months I started to have noticeable hypothyroid symptoms, like 50's pulse once again.