Broda Barnes and Jan Kwasniewski
Though I often look back in these forums I have to admit I haven't had much success with Peat's ideas other than what I feel is a college level education in nutrition. I started looking elsewhere. Broda Barnes prescribed a drastically different diet than Ray. From there I've started looking at Jan Kwasniewski's stuff which is equally fascinating though hard to get answers since he is polish and writes in polish. I'm convinced my gut is inflamed. This may explain why higher amounts of saturated fat seem to help me. I'm wondering if it's possible to incorporate some of their principles with what I've learned with Peat. Both doctors prescribe a low carb approach. Dr Kwasniewski recommends a specific ratio of high fat low protein low carb. They like Peat sound convincing to me.
From my own experience, I have found that saturated fat and fructose are king.
I think following extremes (lchf/hclf) are therapeutic short term for most people but it isn't ideal to follow long term unless you can actually handle those extremes. I know a lot of people that have been "Paleo" and hclf, they all ended up simply listening to their bodies and cravings to find what works for them. Ultimately avoid PUFA and irritating foods, eat high quality proteins and workout how much saturated fat and carbs are ideal for you.
Whenever I feel stressed I can always count on ice cream to counter it. But fructose alone and especially regular sugar alone or with protein but no fat would always cause stress. That led me to believe that maybe there is some truth to sugar feeding intestinal bacteria and maybe saturated fat is better for my gut. I know ray suggests adding coconut oil to the daily carrot salad. Interestingly I don't feel the usual jitters with a high sat fat as opposed to before when I felt horrible cutting carbs. Maybe like you said this can be a short term fix.  

A differing concept with Kwasniewski is that he believes one should not mix fuels which are fats and carbohydrates. In other words you should have your protein with fats(best) only or with carbohydrates by not both at the same time. He claims this causes all kinds of problems. I would love to hear him and Ray discuss this.
(11-19-2016, 07:50 PM)Dizzryda Wrote: Whenever I feel stressed I can always count on ice cream to counter it. But fructose alone and especially regular sugar alone or with protein but no fat would always cause stress. That led me to believe that maybe there is some truth to sugar feeding intestinal bacteria and maybe saturated fat is better for my gut. I know ray suggests adding coconut oil to the daily carrot salad. Interestingly I don't feel the usual jitters with a high sat fat as opposed to before when I felt horrible cutting carbs. Maybe like you said this can be a short term fix.  

A differing concept with Kwasniewski is that he believes one should not mix fuels which are fats and carbohydrates. In other words you should have your protein with fats(best) only or with carbohydrates by not both at the same time. He claims this causes all kinds of problems. I would love to hear him and Ray discuss this.
They come at it from different perspectives, Krasniewski as a clinician who treats people in his office, and Peat as a biologist, who sees an electronic field that cannot be subjected to reductivism. 

But speaking only for Ray Peat, he would find a great deal of common ground, as long as Kwasniewski is not dogmatic (I don't know Krasniewski, I only know Ray over a few years now of email conversations). 

It's ultimately tragic that Charlie Mathers and that other commercial spammer on the raypeatforum.com haidut (Georgi Dinkov) have caricaturized Ray Peat as someone who dogmatically prescribes a low fat, high carb diet, when this is so antithetical to everything Ray Peat believes. 

I've implored them to stop it, but instead Charlie Mathers and haidut/Georgi Dinkov troll for outraged responses. This is common strategy for commercial spammers, because it is believed to drive traffic, and traffic is money, especially for those selling grey market supplements that cannot be otherwise advertised.
(11-19-2016, 04:02 PM)halken Wrote: From my own experience, I have found that saturated fat and fructose are king.

Me, too. But the only good source I can find of saturated fat is MCT oil, wel-blended (or emulsified) with egg yolk. Fructose is everywhere as a component of sucrose, so yes fructose is truly king. 

But avoiding toxic, estrogenic foods, which are also everywhere, is probably just as important, as is keeping a very empty, clean gut, with no bloating or putrefaction.
(11-19-2016, 07:00 PM)G-Signal Wrote: I think following extremes (lchf/hclf) are therapeutic short term for most people but it isn't ideal to follow long term unless you can actually handle those extremes. I know a lot of people that have been "Paleo" and hclf, they all ended up simply listening to their bodies and cravings to find what works for them. Ultimately avoid PUFA and irritating foods, eat high quality proteins and workout how much saturated fat and carbs are ideal for you.

Yes, and for me irritating foods include a lot of starch that breaks down to glucose only, and into the starch particles that can escape the gut and invade the bloodstream, blocking tiny blood vessels everywhere they go, and invoking a stress response as the body fights to rid itself of them.

The low-carb high-fat/high-fat-low carb polarity is just commercial spam to drive traffic to willing commercial whores. 

Ultimately, polarity among the people only serves the corporate interests to distract from the real enemy, which is criminal industrial pollution of the food supply, and the criminally fraudulent services doled out in the guise of health care.
VoS maybe you can clear this up for me. If I understand it right Ray's model is to use sugar as fuel rather than fat. Then what is the purpose of saturated fat? Is it not a fuel too? I know he says some fat is necessary for soluble vitamins, but other than that isn't it primarily an energy source?
(11-19-2016, 09:55 PM)Dizzryda Wrote: VoS maybe you can clear this up for me. If I understand it right Ray's model is to use sugar as fuel rather than fat. Then what is the purpose of saturated fat? Is it not a fuel too? I know he says some fat is necessary for soluble vitamins, but other than that isn't it primarily an energy source?

When you eat saturated fat, you have less space to eat polyunsaturated fats.
What would a "Peat" diet look like to you?